While the Philippines remains to be the 4th largest Christian nation in the world and the only country (aside from the Vatican) where divorce is not legal, parental separation is nothing new to Filipinos. Recent legislative development has seen the landslide approval of House Bill 6779 which gives equal weight to church-decreed annulment with that issued by a judicial court.
Parents have many and different reasons for pursuing separate paths. Whatever reasons they have, separation of parents has and will always have its effects on the children such as a negative concept of self, depression, and suicidal attempts. With the rising erosion or absence of marital commitment, is there still hope for the youth – and the families – of our nation?
Who’s on Usapang Hugot
Angel Jao is a senior student at the Philippine Normal University. She plans to make a difference in this nation’s future generation by being part of the education system.
Angel joins us on this episode to share how she looked up to her father as her superhero. She talks about how she came to believe that she was to blame for her parents’ frequent disagreements. Angel also shares the ill-effects of her parents’ separation on her and how she recovered from self-hate, disappointment, and hopelessness.
“Na-realize ko na may pakialam sa akin si God. Nandiyan lang pala si God — ako lang pala ang tumalikod.”
– Angel Jao
On this episode of Usapang Hugot:
- Angel’s childhood and school environment
- Her dominant thoughts after she learned of her dad’s other family
- How Angel coped with her parents’ separation
- Angel’s shattered dream at 14
- The lowest point in Angel’s young life
- How Angel got into Glorious Hope program
- Her learnings as she went through the Glorious Hope program
- Open communication is key for any family to thrive.
- Marital conflicts and separation have deeper impacts on the children than parents can ever imagine.
- Sometimes, the first person you need to forgive is yourself.
Connect with DWIZ:
- Hotline: (02) 470 1750 to 54
- Globe: (0915) 709 0882
- Smart: (0908) 136 6060
Like, Share, and Follow!
Thank you for listening to this week’s episode of Usapang Hugot!
Learn more about our program! Go to www.GloriousHope.org.ph.
Did you miss this episode?
Watch this episode here:
Episode 15: Daddy’s Girl with Angel Jao